By Natalie Dawson
Billionaires and millionaires aren’t always white or oil barons. African Americans can also throw down when it comes to wealth. To prove it, we have listed ten of the wealthiest black people in the world below listed by current estimated worth.
- Aliko Dangote – Never heard of him? Most Americans haven’t. He is a businessman based in Nigeria and head man for The Dangote Group, which was founded in 1977 as a small firm. Since then, it has substantially grown and earned Dangote himself an estimated worth of $13.8 billion.
- Mike Adenuga – He runs Conoil Producing, the first Nigerian company to strike oil in significant quantities during the early 1990s. He is also the owner of the second largest mobile company in the country. A true success story, he made his first million at age 26 by selling lace and soft drinks and is now worth $4.3 billion.
- Patrice Tlhopane Motsepe – He is another African and another billionaire. His company is called African Rainbow Minerals and deals in gold, platinum, and other precious metals. From South Africa, he was born royalty and became the first black partner in a local law firm in 1994. His estimated worth is $3.28 billion.
- Oprah Winfrey – Her own show and now her own network took this small town reporter’s dreams to places girls of her generation never thought they could go. By investing in herself and her own show, Oprah was able to create a wealth of $2.7 billion.
- Michael Jackson – His estimated worth is sketchy. Although he made hundreds of millions of dollars from album sales alone, Jackson had a notorious spending habit that was also in the hundreds of millions. However, he did purchase the rights to many Beatles songs, which are estimated to be worth between $500 million and one billion. After his death, sales of his own music also spiked into the hundreds of millions.
- Jim Ovia – His nickname is “the godfather of Nigerian banking.” He founded the Zenith Banking Group in 1990, and it became one of the largest financial services provider on the continent. He also founded a mobile company and is estimated to be worth $775 million.
- Robert Johnson – If not for the recession, he would be higher on the list with over one billion dollars in net worth. However, the founder of the BET network still enjoys a net worth of $550 million.
- Michael Jordan – The “air man” is most known for being one of the best players in NBA history. It also didn’t hurt that his brand of clothing and especially shoes are still a top seller. Between the endorsements, investments, and more, he is worth $525 million.
- Tiger Woods – As with Robert Johnson, if it wasn’t for his divorce and lost proceeds from a scandal, he would be farther up the list. However, with an annual salary of $85 million, golfing legend Tiger Woods is still worth $500 million and is the youngest person on the list.
- Bill Cosby – Proving that you can make money by telling a simple, family oriented story is the legendary Bill Cosby. Critics believed his show wouldn’t make it past year one when the comedian debuted it in 1984. Over 25 years later, he is worth $450 million and rising.
Natalie Dawson owns the site Masters Degree. She enjoys writing articles about everything in the education field.